The focus of this page are instructional supports for the following Common Core Writing Standards:
- W.9-10.2.a Introduce a topic; organize complex ideas, concepts, and information to make important connections and distinctions; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., figures, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
- W.11-12.2.a Introduce a topic; organize complex ideas, concepts, and information so that each new element builds on that which precedes it to create a unified whole; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., figures, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
Here are some websites you and your students might find helpful in getting a vision for the work:
- Multimedia in the Classroom–This site helps teachers think through the process of incorporating multimedia projects into the classroom and offers tips for each step along the way.
- Multimedia Storytelling: Learn the Secrets from Experts–This article considers the design process of creating a multimedia story from choosing a story, to story-boarding, to fieldwork, to editing.
- How to Get Started as a Multimedia Journalist–This site offers practical advise to writers on how to get started with an idea and select the best media to convey their message.
- EdPuzzle–This Chrome extension allows users to crop videos, add voice overs, and embed questions. It also shows users who has viewed the video and how many times.
Finally, here are some quick how to tips if this is your first foray into the multimedia world:
- Storyboarding 101–This blog explains what goes into a useful storyboard.
- DIY Videos ’til Ya Die!–This blog explains how to make an effective do-it-yourself video
- 9 Apps for Editing Video on Your SmartPhone–This site lists applications students can use to edit videos to use in their multimedia projects.
- Using a Mobile Phone as an Audio Recorder–This site offers options and considerations to recording audio on mobile phones.
- PodOmatic–This site allows users to upload and design podcasts for world-wide sharing.
- WordPress: Galleries and Slideshows–This site explains how to add a photo gallery or slideshow to your blog.
Have other resources or ideas that have worked well for you? Want to help your colleagues avoid common pitfalls? Please leave comments on this page!